Muslim Contribution to the Indian Independence Movement
Much can be written on the sacrifice of Muslims for the Freedom of India, but unfortunately, the prevalence of a prejudiced historiography which strives to conceal these truths may ensure that these Muslim heroics are always sidelined – or even erased – from the pages of Indian history.
The famous writer, Mr. Kushwant Singh,once wrote: “Indian Freedom is written in Muslim blood, sine their participation in freedom struggle was much more, in proportion to their small percentage of the population.”
The sacrifices of Muslims for the Indian freedom struggle were purposely hidden. Let’s look into Indian History for knowing the truth.Every Indian should know the innumerable facts in this regard and teach our children the truth!
Please read fully and share with every Indian you know:
- The first freedom struggle against the British in eighteenth century India was by the Mysorean ruler, Hyder Ali and his son, Tipu Sultan,during the 1780s and 1790s. Mysorean rockets were the first iron-cased rockets, successfully deployed for military use. Hyder Ali and his son,Tipu Sultan, used rockets and cannons effectively against the British invaders during the 1780s and 1790s.
- Everyone knows that Rani of Jhansi fought to get the kingdom for her adopted child but how many of us know that Begum Hazrat Mahal was the unsung heroine of the first war of Independence, who shot the British ruler, Sir Henry Lawrence and defeated the British army in a decisive Battle at Chinhat on 30thJune, 1857.
- Do you know that the organizer and leader of “First Indian freedom struggle” was Moulavi Ahamadullah Shah – many were killed, among them 90% were Muslims!
- Ashfaqulla Khan was the first to be hanged at the age of 27 years for conspiring against the British Raj.
- Maulana AbulKalam Azad was an Indian scholar and the senior Muslim leader of the Indian National Congress during the Indian independence movement.
- In the picketing protest against ‘liquor shops’ by Mahatma Gandhi, ten participants were Muslims out of nineteen participant!
- The last Mughal Emperor, Bahadur Shah Zafar, was the first to strongly fight for Indian freedom which led to the 1857 independence struggle.Former Prime Minister of India, Rajiv Gandhi wrote at Bahadur Shah’s grave thus: “Although you (Bahadur Shah) do not have land in India, you have it here; your name is alive… I pay homage to the memory of the symbol and rallying point of India’s First War of Independence….”
- K.M. Ameer Hamza, donated multi-million rupees for Indian National Army (INA), and he headed the Azad library reading propaganda of INA. His family is now poor, living in a rented house at Ramanadhapuramin Tamil Nadu.
- Memon Abdul Habeeb Yusuf Marfani, donated almost his entire fortune of one crore rupees to the Indian National Army – a princely sum in those days by completely donating his entire assets to Netaji’s INA.
- Shah Nawaz Khan was a soldier, a politician, and a Chief Officer and Commander in the Indian National Army (INA).
- Netaji’s ministry had nineteen ministers;out of these, five were Muslims.
- Mother Beevimma, a Muslim lady, donated over 30 lakhs rupees for the Indian freedom struggle.
- Abul Kalam Azad, Jinnah, Nawab of Bihar were the three who made the plans for total independence.
- Suraiya Taiyabji (a Muslim lady) designed the current Indian National Flag.
- Muslims used Masjids for the freedom struggle. When an Imam was addressing about Indian freedom in a Holy Masjid in Uttar Pradesh, British Army shot all the Muslims in that Masjid –you can still see the dried blood of the freedom fighters shed on the walls of that
- Muslims ruled India over 800 years and they didn’t steal anything from India as the British, the Dutch and the French did.
- Muslims lived here, ruled here and died here. They developed India into a unified and civilized country by bringing in abundant knowledge in literature, architecture, judicial and political structure, Government body and management structure, which is still used in Indian management strategy!
- In Tamil Nadu, Ismael Shaheb and Maruda Nayagam fought against British for seven continuous years. They made British fear like hell.
- We all know V. O. Chidambaram (Kappalotiya Tamizhan), popularly known as VOC– the pioneering founder of the Swadeshi Steam Navigation Company which he set up to compete against the monopoly of the British India Steam Navigation Company as part and parcel of the Indian independence movement.But how many know that it was a Fakkir Muhammed Rawther who donated VOC his first ship?!
- When VOC was arrested, it was a certain Muhammad Yaseenwho was shot dead by British police for his demonstration to release VOC.
- Tiruppur Kumaran (Kodi kata Kumaran) participated in the Indian independence movement. With Kumaran seven other participants were arrested – all were Muslims: Abdul Latheef, Akbar Ali, Mohideen Khan, Abdul Rahim, Vavu Shaheb, Abdul Latheef and Sheikh Baba Shaheb.
One can write thousands of pages as books, on the sacrifice of Muslims for the Freedom of India, but unfortunately, the domination of communal extremists who strive to hide these truths and misrepresent history in Indian history books. In fact, distorted history is rewritten to divide people for securing votes.
Patriotic Indians should be cautious not to fall a prey to those with vested interests and work towards uniting all citizens for a strong and progressive Nation.